Thursday, April 15, 2010

Tax day.

Did mine a while ago, so I wasn't freaking out. If I actually owed, I'd put that off, but usually I get some sort of refund so I mail mine in early. I always misremember the mailing deadline as March 15 because of the "Beware the Ides of March" quote.

My parents gave me a shopping bag full of used CDs they got at a rummage sale for $5. Some good ones in there, a few bands I'd never heard of or bothered to listen to though I'd see their CDs in every used rack in every store. Some were scratched, some not good for anything but donation fodder, some I'm actually gonna keep. Looking through these reminded me of how much fun I used to have browsing at the local used shops, so I went today. Confined myself to the budget section, found a few good ones.

Primitive Radio Gods - Rocket

Finally found a copy of this one, as I'd been wanting to hear the rest of the album ever since the single came out. Still has the sticker on the front of the case advertising the single, which gets bonus points from me, since I'm OCD about that sort of thing and always try to carefully reattach anything like that if it comes on the outer wrapper of a new disc. Overall, I liked this one. I thought the other tracks would be more sample-heavy like "Standing Outside..." is, but that's not to say that more/different samples would improve them. Again, not something I'll listen to every day, but a keeper.

MC 900 Ft. Jesus - One Step Ahead Of The Spider

First heard of this group back in junior high when I was looking up info on Al Jourgenson's 1000 Homo DJs side project, since both groups showed up on some old Geocities page with a list of funny band names. At some later date, I picked up a cassette of Welcome To My Dream at a library discard sale, complete with all the stamps and stickers. Yeah, this was the later album that had the Spike Jonze video for "If I Only Had A Brain" that you might've seen on Beavis and Butthead back in the day. Keeping this one, gonna try to find a copy of the first release (Hell With The Lid Off)

More later.

No comments:

Post a Comment