Friday, July 30, 2010

Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana. - G. Marx

End of July already? Damn... it seems like just yesterday was June, and I'm not just saying that because I haven't posted on here since then. Yeah, I started numerous posts but never got around to finishing them, so those don't count.

I had a nice rant all worked up about how Cartoon Network/Boomerang butchered another one of my favorite Tex Avery shorts, but I kept getting an error message when I tried to post my copy of the unedited version of "Magical Maestro" so I gave up. Besides, that really wasn't too different from what I had to say about the censored jokes from "The Car Of Tomorrow" so anyone reading this isn't missing out on much. I could bitch about how Boomerang keeps repeating the same programming even though CN/Time Warner owns a ridiculous amount of classic material, but honestly, that's no different from any other TV channel... I could substitute the words "Mtv" and "Viacom" in there and it would be equally true.

So, here's what I'd do if I was in charge of programming at Boomerang.

First, I'd bring back some of the shows/blocks of programming that were on when I first got the channel, like "Late Night Black & White" and more of the non-Tom & Jerry MGM shorts. I'd create some programs based more on director, like an hour of Tex Avery shorts, an hour of Chuck Jones shorts, and so on. I like the idea of putting similar shows in the same block, like what they've already done with "Those Meddling Kids" (Scooby-Doo, Josie and the Pussycats, Jabberjaw, Speed Buggy, and the Chan Clan, among others)

Obviously, I'd want to show the uncensored versions of all the old 'toons... even if it necessitated having some academic types reading a disclaimer first. These cartoons were originally shown in movie theaters between pictures and mainly aimed at adults, not little kids... people need to remember that before they have a conniption fit over "protecting the children" from violence or anything else. Yes, I was lucky enough to see most of these old cartoons in their original versions before the P.C. mob took over and decided what was and wasn't funny nowadays. I was a kid when I watched these, and they didn't turn me into a murderer or a racist, and with modern cartoons (also aimed at adults) pushing the envelope even further, the old ones seem fairly tame by comparison.

More later when I think of it...

No comments:

Post a Comment